Skip to main content

..if I don't keep blowing air into it.

After Ryan died I signed up for grief counselling and waited 8 weeks for the class to start.
I put so much on the counselling; everything, in fact. I thought it was going to fix me.

When the day finally came, I was dropped off at Rockyview Hospital where it was being held in the chapel.

It wasn't the same hospital that Ryan died in, but from now on, all hospitals will feel like the same hospital.

I was early so I got a coffee from Good Earth, and as I put sugar in it, realized why I was feeling so giddy. It hit me like a ton of bricks. Somewhere deep down in my subconscious, I had decided that he was still lying in a hospital bed somewhere and I was finally going to get to see him again.

The subconscious is a motherfucker.

"You think you're going to see him, you stupid stupid girl".
What they don't tell you is that it doesn't just happen once, it happens over and over again. 

So I walked my mind through what it had wanted. Me and my coffee walking down the hall to his room, and strolling right in. But that's where my dream ended. 

It makes sense. That was where I left him. I missed him wholly; my life was upheaved, and now I was back where I'd left him and I was going to finally see his beautiful face.

Grief is fucked. I lost it. Losing it in a hospital, however, is sort of ok.

Grief counselling, although not what I expected, was helpful. It reminded me that death is everywhere, and my complete world destruction was not unique, only a part of life. This was a necessary piece of advice, because grief can be harmful when full-strength.


To the land of the living grief is sadness, but I can tell you it's also selfish, delusional, irrational and mean.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What it's really like to have a pot-bellied pig as a pet.

It's summer in Ramsay and I'm on the front porch reading when a little girl and her dad walk by. They get a few steps past the house when I hear “A pig lives in that house”. “Is that right?” her sceptical dad responds. “Yep”.

That is right.
A pig does live in this house.
My house.
Like a dog?
Yes, sort of like a dog but different.
Why did you get one?

I wish I could answer that. It might be because I saw one on a leash as kid, or because I love their cute little faces, or maybe just because I wanted to be different.

It all started at the wise old age of 24 when I googled "How to keep a pot-bellied pig as a pet". The articles were very helpful, and painted an easy life with a smart, obedient and charming pet. Filled with confidence in my pet-parent ability, I did what anyone would do; I drove to an exotic animal auction in Olds, Alberta with Georgia and bid on a baby pig while my boyfriend waited in the car. The baby pot-bellied pigs were grunting, groaning, and screaming. I …

Alberta Love

Canmore, Calgary, High River and everywhere in between was flooded out on June 20-21st by the Elbow and Bow rivers. 
Thursday 9:00 AM – The city goes to work, happy it’s almost the weekend. It’s raining.
Thursday 11:00 AM – The rain is heavy and the city declares a state of emergency.
Thursday 11:30AM – Calgarians are skeptical. 
Thursday 3:00PM –The neighbourhood of Deer Run is being told to evacuate. How strange. 
Thursday 5:00PM – We all go home and turn on the news and realize just how much the rivers may flood from the rain. Many more neighbourhoods are being told to evacuate. Evacuate to where?
Offers on facebook begin, and it sounds like a good time.





Thursday 7:00PM – “Maybe we won’t have to go to work tomorrow.”  The selfish hope of many who don’t realize the extent of the situation (including me).



Thursday 9:00PM - Will we have to evacuate? What about Mickey? I guess all we can do is go to bed, wait and see. If we get woken up by a policeman at our door, then we'll have to go.
Bet…

A study at Boston University found that women left college with less confidence than when they went in, whereas, men left with more confidence.

In college, I was complaining about being unable to find a writing internship when a classmate told me I should be a waitress. He said I was pretty enough to be one.

It didn't occur to me to be insulted. Instead, I listened to him.
Feminism is about transitioning from child to adult, without developing an idea that you are less capable. It's about keeping the childhood ambition to be anything you want to be, long after you've grown breasts.

Boston University, I'm very disappointed with your findings, but i'm not surprised.